Highlights from the Shawnigan Sprint Tri

This isn't really a race report since it's taken me a week to get to it - basically just some highlights and random thoughts from the race.

The water was really warm - 20.5 degrees C.  Pretty unusual for May around here.  We didn't get as much rain as normal over the winter, and no snow in the mountains so I guess that's why.  I imagine a lot of the local races won't be wetsuit legal this summer if this keeps up!


Seems like the field gets smaller here every year.  Too bad as it's a great little race; hopefully now that WTC owns it, they'll find a way to build up the numbers.

This year felt easier than last year.  Good sign.


The new Betty Designs team kit is super comfortable.  And gets lots of attention and compliments!

I decided I'd ride hard, but not crazy uncomfortably hard (if that makes sense).  I ended up with the fastest bike split in my AG by 2 minutes.  Yes!


My friend Candace came out to watch, and she's a super race cheerleader so it's always great when she comes.  If it looks to her like I'm not working hard enough, she yells at me and makes me dig deep.



I wore these really cute runners that matched my kit perfectly (Brooks pure cadence 3), even though I knew they had a rub spot.  Yep - got a pretty nasty blister.  I'm torn with what to do with them... everything else is great except that one spot.




Nice way to start the tri season - 1st place M45-49 for Jason in the olympic event, 2nd place W45-49 for me in the sprint.  My first ever race in the 45-49 category!

Next up... Victoria sprint on June 14.  Before that though, Jason's off to Escape from Alcatraz this week!




1 comment:

  1. Wow- awesome job- congratulations! That's one heck of a speedy ride!

    ReplyDelete