Pillow Surgery

I am on the quest for the perfect pillow. I may just have found it. People who know me, know I have sleeping issues, to put it mildly I guess. I think "princess and the pea" may be a bit of an exaggeration, but I do like things just right if I'm going to get a good night's sleep.

My quest for pillows has been long-standing. I don't like super thick pillows, I'm not crazy about down (I really don't know why birds have to be tortured or die for me to lie my head on... incidentally, do you have any idea how difficult it is to find a decent duvet that isn't down? But that's another blog post). I had been hearing good things lately about foam latex pillows and decided to give one a try. They are not cheap, so I bought a standard size one to try out, thinking that if I liked it, I'd possibly upgrade to king size in the future.

I tried the pillow one night, and while there were some redeeming features, there was one overall negative - it was way too thick. So I pawned it off on Jason for a night, but then the next day decided it was too expensive to give up on. I figured I could perform surgery and turn it into what I was looking for.

The surgical tools consisted of a serrated bread knife and a silicone oven mitt. The mitt was to protect my hand when I was gnawing away with the knife. The surgery made a huge mess of foam bits everywhere, but the pillow's prognosis was excellent once in recovery.

It looks like I'm icing a giant cake.

Foam bits everywhere!

After several sleeps now, I can confirm that my (now thinner) pillow is fabulous. It cradles my head like it's floating, keeps my c-spine neutral, and doesn't loose any loft. It also has a bunch of micro-channels so air can flow through, and stays nice and cool - no flipping to the cool side necessary. Check one out!

Ready to go.

1 comment:

  1. Whew, saw the title of this and am relieved that Julius didn't make a visit to the trauma bay! Hope the new pillow is the magic just right pillow. (now if I was Julius I was prepared to make an emergency trip to get Humu a new best buddy).

    ReplyDelete